Keeping Kids Fed Over the Summer

Summer Food Service Program

Summertime is here! Time for the beach, BBQs, and fun! But unfortunately, for food insecure kids, Summer can be a time of worry about where their next meal will come from.

During the school year, many kids rely on Free and Reduced Meals for their daily lunch. When Summer arrives, those programs disappear, leaving many to wonder how they will eat today.

Luckily, Long Island Cares has developed the Summer Feeding Program. A mobile program that visits sites around Long Island throughout the Summer to provide kids with a healthy, nutritious lunch to keep them growing strong.

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) was established to ensure that low-income children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. All children are provided with free meals that meet Federal and State guidelines at approved SFSP sites. The approved sites are in areas with significant concentrations of low-income children. Long Island Cares is committed to reaching as many children as possible across Long Island.

Click here to view all Open Sites in Nassau and Suffolk Counties

The Long Island Cares, Inc announces its participation in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). Meals will be provided to all children 18 years and under without charge. In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S.Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or(3) email: [email protected] institution is an equal opportunity provider. Persons interested in receiving more information should contact:Long Island Cares, Inc, 10 Davids Dr Hauppauge, NY 11788


Kids Cafe